Are you considering buying new cement mixers for your construction business but are unsure how they work? If you have never used one before it may seem a bit complicated. Continue reading to find out how cement mixers work and the best way to use them
On the other hand, if you are still in the process of looking for a cement mixer that will work well for your company, B&S Commercial Power has a great selection. At B&S Commercial Power we will be happy to help you find the best cement mixer for your business.
How do Mixers Work?
Once you have found a cement mixer that is perfect for your construction project, the next step is to learn how to properly use them. Follow this step-by-step guide to make the most out of your mixers.
- Pour about 3,79 litres of water into your mixer. Follow all the instructions given to you on the dry cement mixture packaging. If you add too much water the mixture will be too thin, and it will not dry correctly. Too little water will make the mixture too thick, and this will prevent the mixture from combining properly.
- Make sure to open the dry cement mixture bag from the top. Pour everything in the bag into the cement mixers. If you only wish to add half of the bag, make sure to only add half of the required amount of water.
- After you have done all of this, you can proceed to plug in and turn on your mixers. Give the mixers time to work their magic.
- Ensure that all the water and dry cement mixture is thoroughly combined. Leave the cement mixers on for as long as needed to ensure that the cement mixture stays moist. This will prevent the cement from settling and drying out.
- Turn your mixers off and pour out your cement. To ensure that you can easily transport it, then pour it into a wheelbarrow. Cement mixers can normally be tipped and turned to where you would like to pour the cement.
- Once the cement is in the wheelbarrow you can then move it to the desired location and use a shovel to remove the cement from the wheelbarrow. Repeat this process as needed.
What Safety Measures Should You Follow While Using Mixers?
It is important to know how to use a cement mixer, as well as what safety measures should be put in place while using them. Follow these few tips to ensure that you and your staff are safe while using cement mixers.
- Before adding water and the dry cement mixture to the mixers, make sure to test them while empty. Let the mixers run for a few minutes. Check the mixers for any loose bolts or nuts before every use.
- Once you begin using the mixers, ensure that they do not get moved while running. If mixers are moved, the motor may get damaged or the mixer may fall over and spill cement where you do not want it.
- Often construction workers place their equipment into the mixers after their long workday. At the start of a new workday, make sure that all the equipment in the mixers has been removed before turning the machines on.
- Make sure that workers and cement mixer operators keep all their tools, hands, and clothing far away from the parts of the mixers that move. This will ensure that nothing gets stuck in the machine while it is turned on.
- While the mixers are running, ensure that there is always a trained professional keeping an eye on the machine. If any issues occur while the machines are running, they will need to be turned off immediately.
- It may seem like a great idea to add more water and dry cement mixture than the instructions suggest, however, this must be avoided. Overloading mixers will damage them.
- When it is time to repair your mixers make sure that they are unplugged or turned off. This will need to be done before any adjustments, servicing, or adding new accessories or attachments can start.
- Many accidents happen during the servicing or cleaning of the mixing drums. Therefore, it is important to display a sign stating, “Under Repair” or “Service in Progress”.
Follow these few safety tips to avoid damaging your cement mixer and prevent avoidable injuries on your construction site. Not only will following these tips prolong the lifespan of your mixers but they will also protect you and your employees.
What Should You Look for in a Cement Mixer?
Buying a cement mixer may increase the efficiency of your construction jobs. Mixers will drastically decrease the time it takes to mix cement and you will be able to mix more of it at a time. Your construction workers will no longer waste time by manually mixing cement.
Before you decide to buy a cement mixer, there are five things that you should keep in consideration. There are many brands available which may make the decision process difficult especially if you are unsure about what you should be looking out for.
The five different things that should be kept in mind when buying mixers include power supply, performance and capacity, size, durability and portability. The two main options available for mixers are fuel and electric mixers.
One way to choose a mixer is by deciding what type of power supply you will be using. Before buying an electric mixer make sure that you have the necessary power supply available.
A benefit of having a petrol engine mixer is that you can work without using an electric power supply. Petrol mixers are durable, can mix larger volumes of cement compared to electric mixers, and can be used in remote areas that do not have electricity.
However, electric mixers are more environmentally friendly. Regarding performance and capacity, it is simple. If you would like to increase construction productivity, you will need to buy a cement mixer that will offer you excellent performance.
Furthermore, large construction projects will require large mixers to increase productivity and save time and money. The motor power rating of the mixers is also important for productivity. The best mixers mix the cement ingredients thoroughly.
Additionally, a mixer that has a 1500 RPM motor will provide buyers with the best results. These machines rotate 3000 times within 2 minutes to ensure consistently mixed cement. A mixer with a motor rating of ¾ HP also performs excellently.
Regarding size, this will depend on the size of your construction project. For smaller projects a compact mixer that can easily be moved and does not take up a lot of space on a construction site is ideal.
On the other hand, for larger projects, a cement mixer with a large capacity is perfect when you need a lot of cement at one time. Larger mixers have a capacity of 6 cubic feet. These mixers can hold about 62,2 kg of cement.
Moreover, a cement mixer should be robust. During the lifespan of mixers, they will experience wear and tear. Therefore, it is important to ensure that you buy strong mixers.
Lastly, depending on how your construction site operates, you can use a stationary mixer. Stationary mixers are used by construction companies that prepare all their cement on one site. However, if you need to move frequently between sites a portable mixer is a way to go.
Portable mixers are often smaller and can be moved around with ease but in the case that you need a lot of cement consider a trailer-mounted mixer. These mixers are larger and more durable.
Interestingly, there is a type of cement mixer that comes with a fitted wheelbarrow. The wheels of these mixers should be strong enough to handle the weight of the mixer and cement.
Larger mixers will need thick and durable wheels to ensure that it is properly supported. If the cement mixer is not stable the mixer may tip over and pour out all the contents. Ensuring that your mixers are stable, and durable can save you both time and money.
How do Artists Use Cement Mixers in their Work?
Have you ever looked at a cement mixer and thought about all the different ways you can decorate it? Probably not, not many people have. However, a French artist by the name of Benedetto Bufalino thought of the amazing idea to decorate a cement mixer to look like a disco ball.
He named the art piece Disco Ball Cement Mixer. His art piece was placed on a construction site in Lyon, France and it stayed there for two days. Spotlights were pointed towards the turning disco ball mixer, this made the construction site look like a giant dance floor.
Many passers-by stopped to enjoy the amazing art piece and some even took the unexpected opportunity to dance in the beams of light. This is just one amazing way that an artist physically incorporated a cement mixer into their work.
Additionally, there are not many artworks that contain a cement mixer but there are many artists that use cement in their art pieces. One example of this is an artist by the name of Henry Moore. He used cement, wood and stone in his work.
Moore made cement sculptures between 1926 and 1934. He used cement due to the material becoming commonly used in construction and cement was not an expensive material to use. He also explored the many ways that cement could be used in art.
Moore made sculptures by casting cement into moulds, shaping and adding other materials before the cement hardened, and carving the cement after it was hard. He also realised that the colour of cement could be changed by adding pigments to it.
Furthermore, his favourite way of making sculptures was by carving hard cement. Moore had the hope of one day adding one of his cement sculptures to a building.
Cement Mixers: About B&S Commercial Power
B&S Commercial Power is in Cape Town, Western Cape. We import and manufacture an extensive range of top-performing equipment for use in many different industries. These industries include forestry, construction, agriculture and many others.
If you are unsure about what equipment you need for your business contact us and we will gladly discuss your business needs. This will allow us to help you find high-performing equipment that will work for your business.
We do our best to help our clients find exactly what they need. The equipment that we sell our clients helps improve their business operations and helps them make the most of the time they have each day.
Using high-performance equipment is an investment. These tools may help construction businesses save time as well as money. Your business will no longer have to factor in hours just to mix concrete. The mixers we have available can thoroughly do this in a few minutes.