Cement mixers are extremely important for construction, it is also important to ensure that these mixers are used correctly. This article will focus on avoiding accidents on construction sites, the different mixing methods used as well as the benefits of these mixers. If you work in an industry that requires the use of mixers, at B&S Commercial Power, we have various options available for you to choose from. Contact us to find a cement mixer that will work best for your industry’s needs.
Cements Mixers: Avoiding Accidents On The Job
Mixers play an important role in many different industries. They are used to mix cement which consists of aggregate, water, and cement. Cement is used to build various structures like roads, buildings, and bridges. When it comes to using these machines, they can be dangerous when they are not handled correctly. One major danger that can occur while not using these machines incorrectly is the risk of injury.
These machines are powerful and heavy and require a large amount of energy to operate. If mixers are not used properly, they can cause serious injury to operators or people standing nearby. When these mixers are not used properly, hand injuries occur regularly. In many cases, operators get their hands caught in the machine’s moving parts or the mixing drum. There is also the possibility of sustaining eye injuries. Cement can fly out of the mixing drum and into the eyes of people around the mixer or the operator.
The operator needs to wear protective eyewear. An additional danger that can occur while incorrectly using mixers includes respiratory problems. Dust from cement can become a problem, as it is very harmful when it is inhaled. People who are exposed to this dust are often at a higher risk of developing bronchitis and asthma.
It is vital to follow all the necessary safety procedures to avoid accidents or future health problems like this. These procedures include wearing personal protective gear including dust masks, and safety gloves. All operators of cement mixers should be trained correctly to ensure that they know exactly how to operate these machines effectively. Before using these machines, they should be inspected for any defects or damage that may negatively affect the safety or performance of the machine. It is also vital for all operators to know and follow the correct cement mixing techniques.
These techniques include adding the correct amount of water, aggregate, and cement, and mixing these materials for the correct amount of time. Under-mixing or over-mixing can cause the cement mixture to be weak or inconsistent.
This can result in safety risks and structural issues. Furthermore, reducing safety risks and avoiding accidents on the job can be done by regularly maintaining and cleaning mixers. If you spot any damage or parts that are worn out, they should be replaced as soon as possible. The mixers should also be cleaned after every use or after each day it has been used. This is important because any cement or debris that is not removed can negatively affect the performance of the mixers. These few safety tips can help reduce the safety issues that may occur.
Cement Mixers: Different Methods For Mixing Cement
Cement is a mixture that is made up of three materials that have different chemical and physical properties. When these three materials are mixed, they form a material that is used to perform a specific job. For example, they are made to become lighter, stronger or electricity resistant. This type of material is known as a composite material. Concrete is a primary construction material and it is important for the durability and serviceability of structures.
It is not difficult to make concrete, but perfecting the process of making concrete is difficult and this process requires extra attention. This is important because if the correct amount of ingredients is not mixed this will negatively affect the quality of the concrete. It is extremely important to mix concrete correctly, this plays a role in whether you will be producing high-quality concrete or poor-quality concrete. During the mixing process, the aggregate pieces that are used will be coated with cement paste.
If concrete is mixed well, the mixture will have excellent workability and the performance of the concrete will be durable and strong. In the case when concrete is not mixed well, this will cause the materials that have been mixed to separate from one another. It is important to know what the characteristics of well-mixed concrete are. This will make it clear if the mixture will be of good quality or not. The characteristics of well-mixed concrete include:
The concrete must be a colour that is uniform, all the ingredients such as aggregate, cement and water should be mixed homogeneously, cement paste must cover the surface of the necessary aggregate, and there should be no separation or bleeding of concrete after mixing.
Once you know what makes a well-mixed concrete mixture, the next step is to learn the different methods used for mixing concrete. There are three different mixing methods used to efficiently mix concrete. These methods include:
- Hand mixing concrete was the first method used and it is still used today. This method involves mixing concrete without mixers. Using mixers to mix concrete is commonly used.
- Ready-mix concrete is also commonly used. This method involves concrete being mixed in an automatic or semi-automatic batching plant. The mixing method that construction sites will use depends on the needs of the site and the type of construction they are doing.
- To ensure that you have efficient mixing results on a construction site, an appropriate method of mixing concrete for a specific application and use will be important to be established.
Cement Mixers: The Factors That Affect The Method Of Concrete Mixing
Many factors play a role in the method of concrete mixing that is used on construction sites. These factors include:
- Location. The location of construction sites is important to look at. Is the construction site located in a highly congested area or an area with no electricity?
- Available space. Will there be space for a concrete batching and mixing plant? Will there be space for aggregates to be stored on the construction site?
- Volume of concrete needed. The volume of concrete needed to complete the construction project will determine what size mixers will be used and how many mixers will be used.
- Construction schedule. This will determine how quickly concrete will need to be produced and will then also determine the size of concrete mixers that will be needed to produce enough concrete for each day.
- Height. The height at which concrete will need to be placed will also determine the mixing method that will be used.
- Cost. The cost of each mixing method will play a big role in the method that will be used. On many construction sites, it is important to save money where possible.
All these factors should be taken into consideration before deciding which concrete mixing method will be used on a construction site. When taking in all these factors a well-informed decision can be made.
Cement Mixers: Hand Mixed Concrete Vs Ready Mixed Concrete
It is highly recommended that ready-mix concrete is the better option compared to hand-mixed concrete. The reasons why ready-mix concrete is the better option include:
- The ratios used for hand-mixed concrete cannot be determined. Builders may add different amounts of aggregate, water, or cement in each batch. This will result in the concrete being a different strength and durability each time.
- When buying ready-mixed concrete it should always be bought from reliable suppliers. These suppliers will have measures and tests to produce the perfect strength concrete that has been stipulated by the head engineer on site.
- Ready-mix concrete does cost more than hand-mixed concrete. However, ready-mix supply is a lot faster, of higher quality and cleaner. You will also require less labour. At the end of the day, the better quality of ready-mix concrete is worth the extra cost.
- Many head engineers that work on construction sites will only approve concrete that has been supplied by certified suppliers. This is important as it will ensure that you always have high-quality concrete for your projects.
Despite hand-mixed concrete being the more affordable option, in the long term ready-mixed concrete will be the best option because of its high quality. Using low-quality concrete will affect the strength of structures and may mean that these structures will possibly be weak.
5 Benefits Of Using Cement Mixers On Construction Sites
With the fact that cement mixers can be found on almost every construction site, it may be difficult to imagine a construction site before these machines were invented. Before these machines, mixing cement took a lot longer and the process was messy.
There are 5 benefits of using cement mixers on construction sites, which include that these mixers get the job done faster, can mix concrete on site, reduce the need for manual labour, improve health and safety, and a tidier construction site.
- They get the job done faster and with less effort. Mixing concrete by hand is a labour-intensive and time-consuming job. Having this machinery on site means that you will save time and energy. Workers will not use all their time and energy mixing cement.
- Being able to mix concrete on site. You will not need to organise concrete to be mixed on-site, having a mixer on site means that you can have concrete ready as soon as you need it. You can also save money on transportation costs.
- Reducing the need for manual labour. If you need cement to be mixed by hand, you will need more staff available to do so, however, with cement mixers, you will not need extra staff. You can save money by having these mixers do the job.
- Improving health and safety for all workers on site. As mentioned there are a few health and safety problems that can occur while mixing cement. Manually mixing cement uses a lot of back and shoulder muscles which can cause significant strain.
- A tidier construction site. Hand-mixing cement causes a lot of mess so having a mixer on site can help reduce this and keep things tidy. This can help improve morale and workmanship.
When it comes to working in an industry that uses cement it is important to consider all the above-mentioned things. While working in these types of industries it is important to know how to produce cement, how to work with this material and how to keep yourself and others safe while working with this material. When you purchase a cement mixer from B&S Commercial Power you will be able to experience all these benefits on your construction sites. We are excited to help our clients find mixers that will help prove their construction processes.